Monday, September 9, 2019

So I May End Up Being A Millionaire By Age 40


    I started this blog with my very first post on the 9 Ladders To 1 Million saying how I may never be a millionaire, but we will talk about money and laugh at all the bull shit get rich quick schemes. I may have been wrong about the first part. As my finances are looking now by age 40 I may cross a Net Worth of $1,000,000. And I am currently still driving a 2006 Kia Rio. Unlike all the people selling shit, I am going to tell you here completely for free how I am getting to this point. I will admit that some of these are extremely hard,  others are extremely easy, and some of it was just luck... Here we go:

  1.  Number 1 and probably the most important for me personally, was leaving New York City. This is one of the ones that I know is not easy for a lot of people. To leave your home town is a step a lot of people can't take and some on the other hand will easily take. When your rent is double your salary and a house is 20x your salary, it's time to take a good hard look at your career choice and if that is the career you want you really need to ask if this city is the best place for you to prosper financially from doing that job. A guy working a city job in a small town can buy a house for about 150k and invest in the same exact funds as the guy in NYC making 200k but paying 5k a month for an apartment and getting taxed to death.
  2. Drive a shitty car. I've killed this to death in this blog. Very few people need a nice car or a truck. You can rent a nice car if you need to take clients out or borrow a friends truck to move shit or go camping. I also walk or bike whenever, it's more for health purposes, but it's definitely helped extend the life of my shitty car.
  3. I got lucky buying my house. My house is about 40% of my million net worth valued at about 400k. It wasn't total luck, I found a great affordable market through hard research, the luck part was how much it went up, which now is about 65%.
  4. I lived with and still live with roommates at age 37. Roommates suck. Well some do anyway, age 37 may be too old for roommates, but for me age 60 is too old to be working. I am aiming for early retirement. 8 years of having roommates at a cheap rent of 500 a month made me $96,000.
  5. Making extra payments on my house. I didn't put an extra 100 or 200 here and there. I slammed my mortgage, especially in the beinginning when interest was very front loaded. This saved me over 100k. Don't even think about telling me the bull shit myth that a paid off house loses your tax break. YOU PAY 10K IN INTEREST TO GET 1K BACK!!!
  6. 2nd jobs, 3rd jobs, and overtime at job 1. Unless you are naturally in the top tax bracket or fall into one of the millionaire categories I have blogged about in the past you are going to have to work your ass off or be part of the 9 Ladders to hit $1,000,000. My top overtime year I worked over 1,000 hours on top of my normal hours, that's 25 extra weeks of work if it was a 40 hour work week. I literally put myself into the hospital from working too much, and btw I am a blue collar worker. This blog and ebay sales are the only money I make from sitting behind a desk, and generally I don't make shit from them. My sides jobs were everything ranging from bartender, waiter, personal trainer, construction, and driving for eats delivery apps because my shit car was too old to drive for regular Uber. Some of my side jobs didn't remotely compare to my normal salary, but if I wasn't at my normal job I didn't want to waste time I could be making money. I even have been known to walk through my alley looking in the trash for shit I can sell on eBay.
  7. I don't have kids or a wife. I love kids and maybe I will get married some day. But to be fair to all readers I do have to admit this was and is a huge advantage for building wealth. Don't get rid of your kids or call off the wedding, just know realistically it costs money to do both. Unless... you marry a sugar spouse :)
  8. I'm cheap... somewhat. I buy my clothes mostly from outlet stores, I shop deals, I keep shit until it breaks down beyond repairs etc. But to give hope here, I also did in the last 10 years spend an average of 7k a year on travel. I write a travel blog too, and my short thing on this, you want to be financially secure, and have a comfortable future. But you can't totally miss out on the now for it. It's just a matter of budgeting your savings first then the fun shit.
  9. I switched my whole investments to mirror the S&P 500 fund. This needs to be another post on it's own. But for 10 or 12 wasted years age 23 to 33 I followed bull shit advice on investing. Finally after reading up on some common sense I switched my main 401k to mirror the S&P. I make risky investments with other accounts but not with my main retirement account. 
   Anyway there's probably some other shit I forgot, but there you go. I'm a 3x college dropout, with no skills other than hard labor. The money is out there if you are willing to do the work.



No comments:

Post a Comment